Monday, December 1, 2014

Only in Quebec City

The other night I was feeling particularly brain dead, so I went to sleep around 10 p.m. A nice respectable bedtime for a weeknight.

I dozed peacefully until midnight.

At which point I was disturbed from my slumber by the dulcet lyrics of a Celine Dion song.

"...Sous le vent/ Et si tu crois que c'est fini, jamais..."

I recognized the lyrics so I awakened fully so I could figure out what the heck was going on.

I checked my phone, and nope, I hadn't set a weird alarm or anything.

And then I realized that it wasn't Celine Dion singing.

It was neighbors above me, all very young. All very drunk.

They insisted on singing the same Celine song for TWO HOURS.

I was completely annoyed, but found the whole situation to be vastly entertaining.

I muttered some Quebecois swearwords and let them sing me back to sleep.

This will probably be one of my favorite memories of Quebec- Celine Dion is their pride and joy. Their crown jewel, if you will. If you don't like her, please don't say so. You will get schooled. (Fortunately for me, I enjoy her French songs! Her English songs...meh.)

There's also an old man I see on Rue St.Joseph who always rides a motor scooter while blasting Celine. It's one of the funniest sights you'll see!

Oh Quebec. Never change.

*Here's the video for the aforementioned song, the man in the video is also Quebecois! And check out Celine's hair. #priceless*


1 comment: