Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Best of the Best

I know I've said this so much, but hot damn. I cannot believe my time in Quebec is coming to an end. This semester has been everything I dreamed of and more. That's a future post, for sure!

In order to make sure I revisit all my favorite spots here before leaving on Monday, I thought this post could serve as a personal checklist.

I also hope that my semester abroad has piqued your curiosity about Quebec and Canada. Please keep this post in mind if you plan on visiting Quebec City! (Or just ask me to be your tour guide. I'd be delighted.)


1. Best Poutine: Le Bureau de Poste

There are not enough ways to describe how much I love poutine. What's not to love about gravy, cheese and fries? Com'n son. I've tried a lot of poutine since arriving in Quebec, but none compares to the poutine at this restaurant. It's not soggy or too salty, and sprinkled with just the right amount of black pepper.







































2. Best Latté: Le Brûlerie De Café

This café is the most hipster of all the hipster cafés, but if you love lattes, you have to go. At $2.95 a latte, you can't afford to not go. The lattes are velvety, creamy and still taste like espresso. They also have a wide selection of loose leaf teas if coffee isn't your thing.








































3. Cheapest Coffee: Le Champagne Chocolatier

This adorable shop is conveniently located next door to my school, making it the perfect mid-morning snack place. For less than $2 you can order a 16 oz. coffee and it is always fresh!

4. Best Muffin/Croissant

This award also goes to Le Champagne Chocolatier. They serve a daily promotion for a freshly baked muffin and medium coffee for only $3. It is the best promotion in Quebec, I think. The girls who work here are also the sweetest!

They also get the award for the best, flakiest, butteriest croissant. Also a bargain at $2!




























5. Favorite Quartier

My favorite quartier is Le Petit Champlain. It's a little tourist-y, but in between the tacky souvenir shops are local business selling hand made items. If you visit in December you can see this quartier in all its Christmas glory!



























6. Best Souvenir Shop

My favorite souvenir shop is located in Le Petit Champlain, called Le Flamande Sculpteur. This shop is filled with hand carved figurines, large and small. I have found many Christmas presents here! And also Cinnamon, the latest addition to my herd.








































7. Best Study Spot: Les Brûleries

Conveniently located in several quartiers, these quiet coffee shops offer the best studying environment. Head to the second floor for some peace and quite! Pro tip: the 'Sandwich Matin' is pretty fantastic, especially if you woke up late and didn't have time to eat at home.



























8. Best Crêpes: Café Breton

Don't even think about trying another crêperie. This petite restaurant is my favorite in all of Quebec. Relatively economical, they serve dessert and savory crêpes for >$12. I recommend the raspberry crêpe with chocolate. The boozy coffee is also pretty fantastic.






























9. Cheapest Meal: Le Bureau de Poste

Yep, they also won the award for Best Poutine. But what I didn't mention is that each menu item is five dollars, making this place the most popular restaurant in St. Roch. And deservedly so! They serve a wide selection of items (easily classified as "comfort food"), though the burgers remain my favorite.

A photo posted by Della Hethcox (@dellahethcox) on

10. Best Mall: Place Laurier

Don't judge me! This is important, because if the weather is disgusting and you are bored, the mall is your new best friend. Especially this mall. It's three giant malls with hundreds of shops and easily accessible by bus. You can spend so much time there and sometimes, so much money. I like to buy Starbucks and just window shop, though I did buy my "souvenir" boots there.

No comments:

Post a Comment