Monday, December 22, 2014

Wrap Up



























It’s almost been a week since I returned from Quebec and it feels as though I never left Virginia. I went straight back to work (nothing says Christmas spirit like working in retail!) and my room was exactly like I left it. It feels like my life here was simply on pause while I was away.

Quebec feels like a dream. If I hadn’t documented everything so thoroughly I would think I had been dreaming. 

A friend told me I would suffer from post-abroad blues and yep, it’s happening. I miss my life abroad already. It’s hard to feel content back in a small town where absolutely nothing has changed in the last four months. (Except there’s a new Dunkin’ Donuts.) Though I am very happy to be back at home with all my animals and my space. And I’ve got my friends to help me acclimate.  

As I’ve been thinking about my trip, I’ve settled on a few things that I learned about myself. Things that may have been a part of me before, but were never given a chance to develop.

Living alone in a foreign city, and speaking a different language, has given me more confidence in my abilities and capabilities. I was able to navigate Quebec City and carve out a life for myself. I found my first apartment and made friends from all over the world. 

I’ve learned that speaking up for myself is necessary. If I can do it in a foreign language I can certainly do it in English. 

I discovered that whatever I do in life will involve traveling and adventuring. I’ve never been happier than when I was exploring and discovering new sights, sounds and tastes. 

My abroad experience has left nothing lacking and exceeded my expectations. I’m ready and anxious to see the rest of the world now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment