Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Flying Air Canada

















(photo via Google, edited by moi) 


The last time I flew to live in a new place was when my family and I moved back from Hawaii to Virginia. Since it's been nearly 14 years (right, dad?) I felt it would be wise to review the rules for flying. This may be a boring post unless you too want an update on the 3-1-1 rule. 

What is the 3-1-1 rule for carry-ons? 

Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring.
Be prepared. Each time a TSA officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it slows down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience. (via the TSA website)

What about transporting prescription medications? 

It is recommended that documents and medication be packed in your carry-on baggage. All prescription medications must be properly labelled with the names of the patient, the medication, and the issuing medical office or pharmacy. (via Air Canada's website)


What size limits are there for carry on baggage?  

You are allowed one standard article and one personal article for any/all destinations. Your standard article must be 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in. and no more than 22 pounds. Your personal article must be 6 in x 13 in x 17 in. and no more than 22 pounds.

(I'll be bringing my DSLR camera and laptop in my carry ons, as Air Canada recommends.) 

What size limits are there for checked bags? 

via Air Canada 


























Worried about losing your luggage? 

In addition to luggage tags, consider adding a baggage identification card that goes inside your bag. Air Canada has one for free, which I will definitely be adding to my bags! However, I will be packing a set of clothes in my carry on just in case my luggage gets delayed or lost. I can't show up to my first day of classes looking like a dirty traveler. 

Any check-in deadlines?

Glad you asked, because: yes. I get to check-in two hours before my flight leaves. I'm really glad I got a noon flight! 

TravelRecommended
Check-in Time
Check-in
Deadline
Boarding Gate
Deadline
Within Canada90 minutes45 minutes*20 minutes
To/From the US120 minutes60 minutes20 minutes
International
(including Mexico and the Caribbean)
120 minutes60 minutes30 minutes
Caracas, Venezuela180 minutes90 minutes60 minutes
Tel-Aviv, Israel180 minutes75 minutes60 minutes

Do you have luggage?

Err, well, you see...a few months ago my dad said I could borrow his. But now I need to see how heavy it is and if he'll still let me borrow it. I'm crossing my fingers I don't have to purchase any!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later this week I'll share a post full of packing tips and ideas I've found through other study abroad blogs.  What would I do without the internet and Google? 

No comments:

Post a Comment