Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Le processus

I actually started the process of choosing a program back in November of last year. By the time that semester ended I knew where I wanted to go: the French speaking city of Quebec. However, it turned out that my college didn't have an established program up there, which meant I had to create a petition.

Many, many phone calls and stack of forms (in triplicate, please!) later and I was able to turn in a completed petition in early March of this year. After turning it in I was euphoric. So much worry and angst had gone into its completion. I spent so much time running across campus between classes to get forms signed three different department heads. 

During this time I also applied for my passport (I didn't know they were that expensive!) As the post lady signed my forms she exclaimed "now you can go anywhere!" That was pretty awesome.

Then came the waiting. But so did midterms and Spring Break.




























On one very uneventful evening, I opened up my email and saw it: your program has been approved. And this was after a lady assured me I wouldn't earn approval, so take that, pessimistic lady! 

Now I was officially going to Canada to learn more about the beautiful and difficult language that is French.

After all this excitement, I had to actually pass French 102 (I did, B+!) and attend a boring, but necessary, financial aid appointment.

I also signed up for an intensive five week French immersion class. "I never do things the easy way," my life motto apparently. 

I received an A- in my latest French class! I've never been more thrilled. Especially because my final was an essay written in French. Majorly terrifying. But I managed to write a somewhat coherent essay of 930 words. It is nice to see evidence of improvement, especially since the class was so rigorous. 

Now all that's left is to keep studying (I bought a thousand French flashcards off Amazon!), research, pack and try to prepare myself for this new adventure.  


1 comment:

  1. I was afraid you would blog entirely in French, but thank goodness it's in English! Congrats on passing French, KS! Now go celebrate with some cake.

    ReplyDelete