Monday, November 3, 2014

My Thoughts on Studying Abroad (for now)


I go back to Virginia next month. 

Just let that sink in. 

I KNOW. I can't believe it either. This time abroad has flown by. We students joke that the months fly by but the weekdays take freaking forever. (Sitting in French grammar classes for three plus hours seriously slows time down.) 

The other day I was wandering around the internet and saw this forum titled "is studying abroad worth it?" 

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES. 

I cannot tell you how much I have learned in the past few months. Not just how to speak French, but I've also learned so much about other cultures and met some of the most amazing people. And now Facebook only suggests that I friend Columbian users. Ha!

(And don't laugh too hard, but my geography is so much better! I can actually visualize where countries are in the world. I said not to laugh!)

I'm more curious and ready to explore the rest of the world after this trip. I cannot wait to visit Columbia, Switzerland, Brazil and heck, the entire world. The students I've met here have been so warm and friendly and I cannot wait to meet their countries. 

I've learned that while the rest of the world doesn't have a very high view of Americans and America, it doesn't mean they won't give you a chance or help you learn. But they'll also make a lot of jokes about your nationality. My advice? Don't take anything personally. 

If you are willing to learn, people are willing to help you.


I'd like to think that I've really come out of my shell and tried new things. I've found my boundaries. I know when to step out of my comfort zone and when to stick to my guns. 

I've learned to trust people and to say yes to things that are completely new to me. Fake enthusiasm will take you far (sometimes it won't, but that's okay.) And hand motions will take you even farther! 

The other day I walked into a café for a latté and the baristas were snacking on beer and osyters. As I waited for my latté I watched them. The Quebecois are an insanely friendly group of people so they started speaking to me and I responded (in French).  

They asked me if I liked raw oysters, so I said yes. (I had no idea, I'd never eaten one before. But I like seafood, so why not?) I'd seen Anthony Bourdain slurp raw oysters on his show, and I figured if he could do it, so could I! 

That experiance never would have happened a few months ago. But here! Here I posses a certain boldness. I'm growing a little fond of this feeling. 

The oysters were amazing. Slippery little things in a shell filled with lemon juice. I ate several. 

And of course I tried the beer. It was awful, just as I suspected. I mean, who drinks spicy beer? Yoikes. 

(...and I should mention that prior to this tasting, I'd just consumed an insane amount of poutine and hamburgers. Somedays I live like a frat boy.) 



And to keep this post real, I should note that things can be hard here. But not once have I been homesick or wished to be elsewhere! I think that says something very good about Quebec and my school program. 

The first few weeks were very difficult. Not terrible, not horrible, just difficult. My mantra the first few weeks was "this isn't bad, just different." It was hard not being able to communicate, especially because I am a talker. But after the first two weeks of acclimation everything became so much easier. Everything continues to become easier every day. 

*I do think that being curious and wanting to be here helped!* 

It's hard to live in a household where there isn't that much privacy and I can't do everything I want. For an independant girl, it's a little hard to be controlled or to feel like I'm being controlled. 

And oh my goodness. The questions! Meet any Quebecois person and they will ask so many questions. It's typical Quebecois! But for me (and apparently South Americans) it's very off-putting and I feel interrogated most days. 

I really do love Quebec City. It possesses a small town vibe which I appreciate. I love that I see the same people on the bus every morning and that I run into other students almost every weekend.

I hated living in D.C., but I could see myself living happily in this city one day. And since Quebec always wants young immigrants, this is a distinct possibility. 

I can't imagine not being here right now. It feels so right and I can say that I haven't been this happy in a long time. I feel like this is one of the first big steps in my life that will help me figure out what I truly want to do with me life.

And I am okay with taking life a little more easy and trusting the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment