Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hockey!




I've never been into sports, probably because my family is not very sporty. I never grew up watching football on Sunday or attending little league games. That's not my family's style! 

The closest I've come into contact with a sport was one semester's worth of volleyball. (Unless you count the time my mom tried to have me play soccer. I wore a skirt. And cried.) 

Like most people in the world, I adore the Olympics. But I feel that has more to do with patriotism than an overall affection for sports. 

However, I knew before coming to Canada that I wanted to attend a hockey match. (Game? I have no idea and Google wasn't very helpful. Help a girl out, y'all!) Is there anything more Canadian? I mean, besides Tim Hortons. 

My language school has activities every week and this past week the activity was a hockey match. Hockey season has just begun so that meant we were able to get tickets to watch Quebec City's team, The Remparts, play against Baie-Comeau. 

I didn't really know what to expect. This was my first time watching a game in person. I did not expect to love it! I actually didn't want it to end. And I totally got goosebumps when the national anthem was sung. I'm such a sap. 

There was such a feeling of community at this game- all of us were there to cheer on "our" team. It was the oddest thing to find myself automatically cheering at the right moment, booing when the opposing team scored, gasping when a player was slammed into a wall and then bounced off said wall. 

I couldn't take my eyes off that flying puck and I found myself wondering if I too could play hockey. 

That, to me, is a sign that I have thoroughly enjoyed something, when I catch myself daydreaming about it. 

Cheering on the team made me feel more connected to Quebec and made this place seem like it could be my home too. 

Let's go, Remparts, let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment