Wednesday, September 17, 2014

L'Observatoire de la Capitale














































On Sunday I skipped church (ah, I know! Shame on me.) in favor of touring Vieux Quebec. The weather has just started to turn a little colder (think Virginia in October) so I really don't want to spend nice weather days inside.

I left the house at 11 and arrived home just in time for dinner at six. After walking all over Quebec I was exhausted. But a happy exhausted! I hadn't felt like touring with any friends so I went by myself. Boys can be such a hassle sometimes.

So what did I do? I explored Quartier Petit Champlain and saw Quebec from the very tip top of L'Oberseratoire de la Capitale. This post is about the latter.

I've been wanting to go to this tower since my host dad first pointed it out. Who doesn't want to see Quebec from 221 meters in the air? The views were impressive, even on a cloudy day.

I had a lot of fun finding the areas where my house and school are located. It's at times like that when I realize I am totally my father's child, finding a calm experience so enjoyable. Haha!  (Love you, dad! Thanks for teaching me how to enjoy educational experiences.)

While I was there I had a weird and creepy experience. People kept asking me to take their photos and I was more than happy to do so. Well.

(Isn't that how all good stories start?)

This one man asked me to take his photo and I was all "Oui, oui! Bien sur."

So I took his photo.

And then he thanked me and "air kissed" me (air quotes because there was definitely contact with my face).

Then he wanted a picture with me. I thought it was weird, but whatever floats your boat, sir.

AND THEN. AND THEN. AND THEN.

(This is the part that makes me want to vomit a little.)

He wouldn't leave me alone. He wanted my number, my email address, my facebook name. By now I was getting super creeped out and wishing I'd brought a dude along. (Next time I will.)

I started walking towards the exit and he put his arm around me telling me that was going to miss me.

Hold up. We just met? And not really even that. I took a photo of you. That's all. (Also, this was all happening in French. Oh yeah.)

AND THEN.

ermagersh

HE TRIED TO KISS ME ON THE MOUTH.

*vomit vomit vomit*

Like, turning my head with his hand.

Needless to say I quickly ducked out of that embrace and headed in the opposite direction and hid by the information desk until he left.

Then I called my sister for comfort. And scrubbed my face.

#traumatized

The end.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That is very scary and traumatizing. I'm so sorry you had to experience that with that old man. Not OK. Not OK at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. :/ Esp. because I've never had to deal with someone getting so close and personal. And my French doesn't really include phrases for situations such as that. But I went home and looked up some key phrases, ha! "Ne touchez pas moi." = don't touch me.

      Delete